Thursday, April 3, 2014

Tutor Week: Meet Haley!




Name: Haley Petcher


Major: English (Literature)

Year: Senior
What do you like doing best in your spare time?
My friends and I like to hang out and do art projects. Not the challenging kind, though. The throwing-paint-filled-eggs-at-a-canvas kind.
What’s the best advice anyone has ever given you about writing?
When I write I’m a perfectionist, which means that I hate admitting that my first drafts aren’t perfect. Many people have reminded me that it’s okay to have a bad first draft because you can edit it later. If you don’t put your ideas on paper, you’ll never finish.
What has been the most rewarding part of your job at the Miller Writing Center?
Writing papers can be nerve-racking, so I love it when a student leaves feeling better or knowing that they have the tools to improve their paper.
Is there anything challenging about your job in the Writing Center? If so, what is it?
Explaining articles is tricky.
When and where do you work at the MWC?:
I work Tuesdays from 12:00 to 3:00 and Thursdays from 1:00 to 3:00 in Athletics.


Hidden talent?
I can solder small wire sculptures, like trees or birds. It all started when my 9th grade English teacher asked us to make dragons for a project.
Any good book recommendations?
Confession: I’ve both read Erin Morgenstern’s The Night Circus and listened to it through Audible. Morgenstern is a painter who loves to create different textures, and I’m not sure if this makes sense, but her writing really reflects that. It’s my current favorite contemporary novel.

1 comments: