Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Tutor Week: Meet Murali

Continuing our Tutor Week festivities, we sat down with the hilarious Murali to get to know a little more about him! 

Name: Murali Dharan

Major: Electrical & Computer Engineering
Year: Every year
What do you like doing best in your spare time?
Free time?? I'm a graduate student in Engineering, I signed away all my free time to Beezelbub in the vain hope for a real career but if by a stroke of good fortune, I get an hour or two between sustenance and slumber, I play video games, catch up on TV shows, or just offer snide remarks when hanging out with friends.
What’s the best advice anyone has ever given you about writing?
Don't use 7 words when 4 words will suffice.
What has been the most rewarding part of your job at the Miller Writing Center?
You mean apart from Cha-Ching? Well then, I guess it would have to be access to the disparate thinking of our vastly diverse clientele and the kind of writing I get to read and help people improve. I love to learn about new stuff and this keeps me on my toes with the volume of stuff I get to read and learn which I would've never read on my own.
 Is there anything challenging about your job in the Writing Center? If so, what is it?
Working with rhetorical and literary analysis papers. As an engineer, I am used to writing an objective conclusion based on solid facts and figures not one based on feelings and inferences where it can change depending upon the viewpoint. A couple of times during my initial days, I have accidentally skewered my client's papers trying to understand the point and objective of their paper. I have learned very quickly from those transgressions and have ensured it doesn't happen again.
When and where do you work at the MWC?
Tuesdays and Wednesdays at Athletics
Hidden talent?
A penchant for double entendres and an innate ability to find humor in any situation however awkward it might be.
Any good book recommendations? 
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

0 comments:

Post a Comment