Monday, March 31, 2014

Tutor Week: Meet Dianna!

It's Tutor Week at the Miller Writing Center, and we're showcasing some of the awesome members of our staff all week. To kick things off, we're interviewing one of our stellar lead consultants, Dianna

Name: Dianna Tingle
dianna.png
Major: Communication Disorders (soon to be a doctoral candidate in Audiology!)
Year: Senior/Future Graduate Student
What do you like doing best in your spare time?
If I have a lot of free time, reading is my spare time activity of choice. If I’m busy and just need a mental break, Netflix is my go-to. I also enjoy playing volleyball any chance I get.
What’s the best advice anyone has ever given you about writing?
“Write crappy rough drafts.” Seriously, before someone told me this, I focused on perfection with every sentence I wrote.  Now I get all of my ideas out on paper and write multiple drafts. It has changed my writing process and actually sped it up.
What has been the most rewarding part of your job at the Miller Writing Center?
I have enjoyed getting to know my clients over the years. I love learning from their thoughts, ideas, and papers. Everyone who comes into the writing center comes from a different background and major, so I get to learn something new every single day. My range of general knowledge is so much greater now because I get to read about so many topics from week to week. My clients also keep me updated on other important life things; for instance, do you know there is a really awesome Canvas app for iPhones? I didn’t until a client told me about it.
Is there anything challenging about your job in the Writing Center? If so, what is it?
I also struggle when reading chemistry papers, especially dissertations. I don’t know what it is about chemistry, but I have a hard time reading through all of the formulas and symbols.
When and where do you work at the MWC?:
I work on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 9-11 in Multicultural and 2-4 on Tuesdays in RBD.
Hidden talent?
I can pogo with no hands.
Book recommendation:
If you haven’t read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, get on Amazon Prime right now and order it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment